The Massachusetts Department of Correction and Concord Prison Outreach have partnered to develop the “WELCOMEBACKpack” program to address some of the wide disparities in resources available to people released from prison.
The backpacks include hygiene and safety supplies, a list of community resources, a book for study and reflection, and writing materials.
Backpacks are prepared for state-wide distribution as people leaving prison return to many different communities throughout Massachusetts. The DOC uses financial and resource-based criteria to determine who needs a backpack.
Your organization can volunteer to donate time, supplies, or funds for a month of backpacks to help people being released form prison! Some previous donors include:
- Hancock United Church’s Youth Group, Lexington, MA
- St. Matthew’s Church, Acton, MA
- Christ Congregational Church, Brockton, MA
- National Charity League, Middlesex Chapter, Concord, MA
Would you like to Adopt-A-Month and be recognized in our calendar and website? If so, please contact Office Coordinator, Jeannette Sheahan, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 978-369-1430.
You can also support the WELCOMEBACKpack program by visiting our Amazon Smile Wish List!
What’s in each bag?
- Travel Size Shampoo
- Reusable Water Bottle
- Bar Soap or Body Wash
- Reusable Face Mask
- Sanitary Items
- Toothpaste and Toothbrush
- Writing Supplies (Pen & Writing Pad)
- Reading Materials
- The Four Agreements, Ruiz or The Prophet, Gibran